Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese practice of encouraging the positive flow of energy in the cosmic space. The way various objects are arranged has a bearing on the energy and can have positive or negative effects on the lives and attitude of the people who live there. However, learning Feng Shui technique is not that easy as it requires years of research and practice. In order to have a successful career as a Feng Shui practitioner, you will need to seek training and certification.
If pursued properly, Feng Shui can give you a different perspective of looking at spiritualism and also at one’s inner self.
There are some basic things which you need to cover before wanting to become a Feng Shui consultant.
- Do some preliminary research into the philosophy of Feng Shui- You can find books that describe this ancient Asian practice in libraries or book stores. You can also find DVDs about Feng Shui online, or through sites like Amazon.com.
- Sign up for a Feng Shui training course. You may be able to get your first introduction to Feng Shui through a Lifelong Learning Course at a local college, a center for integrative medicine or online. You will need a good introduction to the concepts before starting to organize yourself as a practitioner.
- Begin practicing in your own space. Experiment with the basic principles you have been taught with your own home. It may take months or years to be able to figure out the practical applications of what you have learned.
- Go through an advanced training course or certification. Contact the American Feng Shui Institute, The Center for Feng Shui or similar organizations to inquire about their programs. Some advanced programs include time training in China, learning the traditional methods of Feng Shui in its birthplace.
- Volunteer to give friends and family members a Feng Shui consultation. A large part of Feng Shui consultation is taking into account the clients’ feelings, needs and history. Practice as much as possible in order to develop your personal approach.
- Find a Feng Shui mentor. You may need to go to a large metropolitan area in order to find a consultant who will not be a direct competitor. Propose an arrangement to give the mentor free help in exchange for a week or month observing their practice.
- Choose a location to work as a Feng Shui consultant. Large metropolitan areas on the East and West coast are likely to offer you the largest potential customer base. Other places like Houston, Chicago and Las Vegas, where there is plenty of new development and building, would also be good choices.
- Consider how you want to model your business, based on your training and observation. Some people cater to private homes, others to architects and builders, while still others work with Feng Shui organizations to provide services. Research what will work best in your chosen right location.
The term “bagua” (or “ba gua”) is derived from the book of the I-Ching, a sacred text used to tell the future. An ancient Chinese term “bagua” means “eight areas” (“ba”=eight, “gua”=area) and Feng Shui bagua acts like a map or chart that relates to the various areas of your life through the 8 sections of your house. These eight main sections of a space are represented by what are known as “guas” of the bagua map. The bagua map can also have a ninth center section that corresponds to the 8 major corresponding life areas. So in this way the layout of bagua map shows the nine main energy centers that are important while analyzing the house.
The map is used by placing it over a floor plan of your house / office. With the help of this map you would know if your relationship area is in the toilet or in the bedroom. If it is in the Bedroom which is SW, it is termed excellent in Feng Shui.
Through such an analysis we can pinpoint the areas which that need our immediate attention so that they can be enhanced by Feng Shui practice.
THE EIGHT LIFE AREA OF FENG SHUI
The Feng Shui bagua is the most important way to understand how environment relates to the various aspects of life. Wealth, reputation, love, family and health, travel and helpful acquaintances, career, wisdom, children and creativity are the main life areas.
‘Feng Shui Bagua’ the key points
Feng Shui Bagua helps you to analyze your living space by putting the 9 sections on the floor plan of your house. This will help you understand the relationship between the Bagua and different parts of your house (or parts of a room) and the different aspects of your life.When dealing with a specific problem like relationship, wealth, children, career, you should first determine which or the eight life guas it fits in.
For example, if you are having a fight with your daughter, that would fall into the children gua, whereas dissatisfaction with your salary would relate to the career and wealth guas.After you determine the problem area, overlay the bagua map and see which portion of your home requires your immediate intervention to correct the imbalanced energies.The Feng Shui bagua helps you to understand where you should be making enhancements or cures to improve problematic areas and which area of your life you should target.Individual guas have unique personalities, symbols, and associated elements. When you know about each element and its meaning, the bagua tells you how can you make healing enhancements to your space using one or more elements.